Chennai: Shawarma is a western food, not part of an Indian cuisine and hence people should avoid eating it - this is what Tamil Nadu Health Minister Ma Subramanian has said days after 58 people fell ill and a young girl died after eating shawarma in Kerala’s Kasaragod district. The minister made the remarks on Sunday during an event and pointed out that shawarma is not part of the Indian cuisine and people should try and not eat it. Subramanian said there are many choices as regards food that are available and people should give up those items that are not good for health. “Shawarma is western food. This might suit western countries due to their climatic conditions. The temperature might tend to go to minus degrees in those areas. Even if it is kept outside, it won’t get spoiled. Be it any meat items, if it is not maintained in proper condition in the freezer, they will get spoilt. Eating those spoiled items will cause serious health issues,” the minister told reporters, as per The Indian Express. According to the minister, most vendors selling shawarma across the country lack proper storage facilities and they display them outside exposing them to the elements of nature, including dust. He further said the youngsters' interest in shawarma has led to the mushrooming of shops selling this particular food item. “No one is thinking whether this food will suit our climatic conditions and those who sell these items also don’t really bother whether they have the provision to have this processed meat. They are thinking only about the business angle. Following two-three complaints, we have ordered the Food Safety Department to inspect these shops across the state. Close to 1,000 shops have been fined for not having the requisite facilities, we are going to continue this drive and take necessary action,” he added. It may be noted here that officials in Kerala had found that the shawarma which made people ill carried pathogenic salmonella and shigella.